Public Fishing Areas (PFAs) are great places for family outings. Currently, there are 10 PFAs located around the state. You can fish from the bank or a boat, picnic, hike, watch wildlife, camp (not all PFAs provide camping, check individual PFA pages at links on the right for more details), and enjoy being outdoors. Good bank fishing opportunities are available at all PFAs and many of them have special kids fishing areas for young anglers. So check out a PFA and see what you, your family, and friends have been missing!
What to expect at a PFA:
- Clean, safe, well-maintained, and family-friendly fishing environment.
- A variety of fish species available for harvest and the potential for catching a fish of a lifetime at some PFAs. Fish species available to the angler include: largemouth bass, bream, channel catfish, hybrid striped bass, and crappie.
- Fish have been tested for contaminants for your safety - PFA lakes have been sampled as part of the DNR fish consumption testing program.
- Intensively managed lakes and ponds including those that receive fertilization and liming to increase fish harvest opportunities.
- One or more intensively managed ponds or lakes at a PFA so you can find just the right water body for your fishing experience.
- Boat ramps and fishing piers at many lakes.
- Restrooms and vending machines (drinks and snacks at some PFAs).
- On-site maintenance staff and Area Managers at many PFAs.
Licenses Required at a PFA
- Anglers 16 years and older must possess a current fishing license, AND a Wildlife Management Area (WMA) license to fish.
- If you have either a Sportsman's, Lifetime, Honorary (resident disability license or resident one-time veteran's license), 3-day Hunting and Fishing License, or 3-day GORP Plus you are NOT required to have a WMA license to fish.
- A WMA license is NOT required to fish at Rocky Mountain Public Fishing Area.
To access a PFA for non-fishing activities, visitors age 16-64 must have one of the following (visitors under age 16 and/or over age 64 are exempt):
Click here to purchase a license or pass!